350 Dragon Fruit plants were planted in 2014.
La Libelula was one of the first farms to cultivate this magical fruit in Manabi. It remains one of the only farms that offer the sweet, delicious yellow variety.
The yellow Dragon Fruit flower is a stunning and unique sight with its petals and intricate structure. This exotic member of the cactus family is truly on of a kind.
The flower of the Dragon Fruit blooms primarily at night and releases a sweet fragrance that attracts nocturnal pollinators like moths and bats.
The Dragon Fruit is typically harvested 3 times per year and is done by hand, or using hand tools such as pruners to avoid damaging the plant.
With 6-12 fruits harvested per plant per harvest, the 350 cactus plantation has a prolific output.
Yellow Dragon Fruit has higher antioxidant content, lower sugar content, and a sweeter taste when compared to pink dragon fruit.
Dragon fruit is known for its impressive nutritional profile. Here are some of its key benefits:
1. Low in calories: Dragon fruit is low in calories but high in fiber, making it a great choice for weight management.
2. Rich in antioxidants: The bright pink and green colors of dragon fruit come from its high content of antioxidants, including vitamin C and carotenoids. These antioxidants help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
3. Good source of fiber: Dragon fruit is high in fiber, which is important for maintaining healthy digestion, regulating blood sugar levels, and reducing the risk of heart disease.
4. High in vitamins and minerals: Dragon fruit contains a variety of important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, iron, and magnesium, which are essential for maintaining healthy bones, muscles, and nerves.
5. May improve cardiovascular health: Some studies suggest that dragon fruit may help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Overall, dragon fruit is a nutrient-dense fruit that can provide a variety of health benefits to those who consume it regularly.